How to Achieve pH Balance through Alkaline Diet
If you want to stay protected against disease and various forms of sickness, you need a proper pH balance for your body. Many doctors recommend using an alkaline diet to achieve pH balance because it is very important to lessen acidity and increase alkalinity in the body. When pH falls below the normal level, this may allow harmful microbes to thrive and damage tissues and organs and weaken the immune system.
In 2 minutes or less, you can get the diet plan that will turn your body into a fat burning machine.
What is pH Balance?
pH stands for potential of hydrogen, and it means the measure of hydrogen ion concentration of a solution. This pH can also measure the human body’s acidity or alkalinity. Your pH can be measured on a pH scale ranging from 0 to 14. The neutral pH of the human body is 7, which means that there is a balance of acidity and alkalinity. When the pH value is lower than 7, it means there is high acidity. If the pH value is higher than 7, it means there is high alkalinity.
Even though the neutral pH value is 7, the ideal pH value for the human body should be more alkaline than acidic. The optimal pH value for your body should be at 7.36 to 7.45, which is slightly higher than the neutral level. Not everyone has the optimal pH value and it can fluctuate depending on different factors, which is usually from 6 to 7.5.
What is an Alkaline Diet?
The alkaline diet is recommended to balance the pH level of the body, including blood and urine. Your diet affects the pH level of the body, so you need a special type of diet to gain the most optimal pH level. As mentioned earlier, the pH level of the body fluctuates depending on the food you eat and the time of the day. If you frequently consume acidic foods or foods that cause acidity in the body such as grains, sugar, alcohol, meat, fish, dairy, sweetened beverages, sodas, and high protein foods, it can change your body’s pH level and lead to increased acidosis.
The modern American diet is very high in sodium. Research has shown that the ratio of potassium to sodium in people’s diet nowadays have changed tremendously. There was a time when the ratio of potassium to sodium is 10 to 1. But now, the potassium to sodium ratio is 1 to 3, which means that most people consume three times more sodium than potassium. This type of unhealthy diet affects not only the adults but also the children. These high sodium diets are also high in simple sugars and refined fats, and very low in fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, and vitamins.
These changes in the diet of most people have resulted in metabolic acidosis. This means that the pH level of the people with high sodium diet is no longer optimal. This also causes a lot of health problems and speeds up the aging process. The high acidity forces the body to get the needed minerals from the bones, tissues, cells, and organs, thus weakening the body and causing diseases. This is the reason why many health care providers are recommending a healthy alkaline diet.
Achieving pH Balance through Alkaline Diet
The alkaline diet is very effective in helping you achieve pH balance. This diet includes lots of green leafy vegetables and alkalizing foods. Alkaline diet prefers organic food because crops that are grown in rich and mineral-dense soils have high vitamins and mineral content and tend to be more alkalizing. Below are some of the best foods that promote alkalinity.
Alkaline Diet Foods
- Fruits and vegetables are great for helping your body achieve alkalinity. Some of the most recommended fruits and vegetables are mushroom, raisins, dates, cucumber, spinach, wheat grass, kale, chard, garlic, oregano, ginger, cabbage, endive, green beans, celery, watermelon, red beet, asparagus, zucchini, ripe bananas, and figs.
Contrary to what many people believe, acidic fruits such as tomatoes and grapefruit do not increase the acidity in the body. Instead, these acidic fruits can also contribute to the body’s alkalinity.
- Plant Proteins such as lima beans, navy beans, almonds, and other beans are great choices to include in your alkaline diet.
- Raw foods or uncooked fruits and vegetables are ideal for boosting alkalinity and pH balance. Cooking fruits and vegetables can only deplete their alkalizing minerals. It is best to consume them raw, or you can just lightly steam your vegetables. Juicing is also a great option, both for raw fruits and vegetables.
- Green vegetable drinks are very rich in chlorophyll and alkaline-forming foods. Consuming chlorophyll can help alkalize your blood.
- Alkaline water has a pH level of 9 to 11, which means that it can really boost your body’s alkalinity. If you don’t have alkaline water, you can try adding baking soda, lemon or pH drops to your water to increase its alkalinity.
Now that you have learned about the various foods that should be included in your alkaline diet, you should also have an idea about the foods that you should avoid. The following acidic foods can only contribute to the acidity of the body.
- Processed foods and foods that are high in sodium – These foods contain high amounts of salt or sodium chloride that constricts your blood vessels and results in high acidity.
- Whole wheat products and oats – all types of grains can create too much acidity in the body. The American diet mostly contains a lot of wheat and processed corn, which can affect pH balance.
- Dairy products, especially the ones that are rich in calcium can cause acidity in the body. It may be surprising to most people, but milk and calcium-rich dairy products can cause osteoporosis. When the blood becomes acidic, the body will get calcium from your bones in order to achieve pH balance. This weakens the bones and causes osteoporosis. The best way to increase alkalinity and prevent osteoporosis is to eat more green leafy vegetables.
Other foods that are considered as anti-alkaline include:
- Processed meats and cold cuts
- Processed cereals
- Caffeinated drinks
- Peanuts and walnuts
- Rice, pasta, and bread
- Foods with artificial sweeteners
- Preservatives and food coloring
Foods that are rich in protein, such as meats and animal foods, can lead to acidity. If your diet consists of these protein-rich foods, it is important to add more alkalizing fruits and vegetables to your meals.
Some of the foods included in the list above are actually healthy foods such as eggs, walnuts, and peanuts. You don’t necessarily have to avoid these foods since they contain a lot of nutrients that can also boost your health. What you need to do is to balance your diet and eat more of the alkaline-promoting foods. You can still eat some acidic foods but only in moderation, and control your consumption of packaged and processed foods.
The alkaline diet is your best solution to achieve pH balance. However, there are certain habits that can disrupt your pH balance and still increase acidity in your body. Here are the different habits that can cause acidity in your body:
- Too much caffeine intake
- Chronic stress
- Lack of exercise and too much exercise
- Exposure to chemicals and radiation from computers, microwaves, and cellular phones
- Exposure to pesticides and herbicides
- Not eating too much fiber in your diet
- Poor chewing and bad eating habits
- Shallow breathing
- Too many hormones from food, plastics, and beauty and health products
- Using too many artificial sweeteners
- Using too many antibiotics
- Too much alcohol and drug use
How to Test Your pH Level
In order to achieve pH balance, you need to know how to test your own pH level. First, you have to purchase a pH test strip kit at the pharmacy or local health store. You can use your saliva or urine to test your pH level. If you’re choosing the urine, the second urination in the morning can provide the best result. You can find out your pH balance by comparing the colors on your test strip with a pH scale chart. The best time to test your pH level is during the day, 1 hour before your lunch and 2 hours after lunch. If you are testing with your saliva, the ideal result is between 6.8 and 7.3 pH level.
Top Benefits of an Alkaline Diet
Allows for Healthier Bones and Muscles
The alkaline diet promotes a balanced nutrition that can help maintain the health of your bone structure and muscle mass. Research has shown that eating alkalizing fruits and vegetables offers protection from the weakening of bones and muscle wasting. With a proper alkaline diet, your body can receive important minerals such as calcium, phosphate, and magnesium that will build bones and muscle mass. Also getting the optimal pH balance can help improve the production of hormones responsible for growth and boost the absorption of vitamin D, which strengthens the bones and keep you away from diseases.
Reduces Chronic Pain
The alkaline diet is effective in lowering the occurrence of chronic pains such as headaches, joint pains, muscle spasms, back pains, inflammation, and menstrual symptoms. One study has shown that alkaline diet reduced the chronic back pain of patients when they were given alkaline supplements daily for 4 weeks.
Helps Protect Against Obesity
Obesity is a major problem today because of the high fat and sodium diet that most people consume every day. Shifting to a more healthy alkaline diet can help protect you against obesity. When you limit your consumption of acidic foods and increase alkaline-forming foods, you are also decreasing your leptin levels and inflammation, which prevents you from being hungry all the time. Alkaline diet gives you a chance to have a normal leptin level that keeps you from consuming too many calories in a day, thus lowering the risk of obesity.
Lowers the Risk of Cancer
Studies have shown that higher alkalinity in the body can cause the death of cancerous cells. An alkaline diet can lower the risk of cancer because it fights inflammation. Cancer cell death or apoptosis is also associated with an increase in alkalinity. Plus, the alkaline diet is helpful for patients taking chemotherapeutic agents that need a higher pH value.
Provides Anti-Aging Effects
The alkaline diet keeps your body younger because it has strong anti-aging effects. When you keep your pH balance at an optimal level, your body can be stronger against inflammation and improve the production of growth hormones. This condition offers a lot of protection against serious health problems such as stroke, high cholesterol, kidney stones, hypertension, and memory loss.
Helps Improve Vitamin and Mineral Absorption
Alkaline diet does not only maintain optimal pH balance, but it also helps improve vitamin and mineral absorption in the body. Magnesium is an important mineral that is needed for many bodily functions. Serious magnesium deficiency can increase the risk of heart complications, sleep problems, headaches, muscle pains, and anxiety. Magnesium is also needed by the body to activate vitamin D, which promotes better immune and endocrine system.
Important Tips for Following an Alkaline Diet
The alkaline diet emphasizes on healthy foods such as whole fruits and vegetables, green juices, nuts, beans, and raw foods, but experts also suggested choosing organic alkaline foods. If you really want to boost your pH balance, it is better to know the type of soil where your fruits and vegetables were grown in. Fresh produce that was grown in rich, mineral-dense soil has been proven to be more alkalizing. Scientists found that the type of soil greatly influences the vitamin and mineral contents of the plants.
The ideal pH balance for soil is between 6 and 7. If the soil falls below 6, it indicates that the soil is too acidic and it will produce fruits and vegetables that have low levels of calcium and magnesium. If the soil has a pH value of more than 7, then the result is chemically unavailable copper, iron, zinc, and manganese. Choose plants that are grown in soils that have been organically sustained and exposed to cattle and wildlife grazing.